Tuesday, January 8, 2013

THEATER: Irving Berlin's White Christmas (November Issue)


With Christmas right around the corner, calendars begin to fill up quickly with many holiday activities, parties and traditions.  From the Rockettes to the Skaggs Family Christmas, there are certainly many ways to be festively entertained in our area.  One item on my to do list is catching Irving Berlin’s White Christmas at the TPAC.  It opens on November 13th and runs through November 18th

Back when there was much more time to spend with extended family during the holidays, I would stay with my relatives in Northeast Mississippi.   Most of our time was spent doing something musical or theatrical.  We were kind of like the Partridge Family on Hee Haw with flair!  My closest cousins are sisters, and they had a tradition of performing “Sisters” from White Christmas.  It was always one of my favorites. 

With the show coming to Nashville, I was given the opportunity to interview someone in the cast.  Of course, I chose a sister!  Stefanie Morse is playing the role of Betty Haynes, which she says is her most favorite role to date.  She also really enjoyed playing Diana Morales on the European Tour of A Chorus Line.  One role she has not played but is a dream of hers is Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.

During Stefanie’s short stay in Nashville, she plans to visit friends and family and hopes to see some great live music.  I think we’ve got that covered!  We’re also discussing a tour of Williamson County together.  She wants to see as much as she can, and of course, I’m proud to show it to her!
 
As a musician, I’m always curious as to what types of music performers enjoy.  Stefanie says she has very eclectic taste.  She loves Sara Bareilles, Adele, Gavin DeGraw…singer/songwriter stuff.  She has loved Streisand since she was very young and loves to sing from the Golden Age of musical theater.  “They don't write 'em like that anymore.”

I really enjoy getting to know actors before seeing a show.  I’m excited to start my holiday season off with Stefanie and the rest of the cast, as I am now “dreaming of a White Christmas!”


No comments:

Post a Comment