Thursday, May 8, 2014

ON SCREEN: Nashville

After seeing the title, you may think this is a story about Connie Britton, Hayden Panettiere, Charles Esten or any of the other big “Nashville” stars. However, this one is about yours truly. I’ve been an extra on the show a couple of times and have been asked to share my experience. One of the episodes has not aired, so I won’t be sharing any secrets. Sorry!

My first time filming was for Episode 6 of the current season.  YOUR Williamson’s Cameron McBride was there with me (pictured right), and we had a blast. Our scene was filmed at the famed “Bluebird Cafe". Those quotations are not used because it’s a title.  They are “air quotes” because the Bluebird you see on TV is not the actual Bluebird. I am not giving any secrets away on that one.  Many of you may have already known it is a replica. You can find that little piece of info and much more on Wikipedia. What you may not know is, other than the big pole in the middle of the room in the real Bluebird, the set is exactly like the Green Hill’s venue, right down to the nails on the wall. It was amazing and also a little strange because it felt like we were really there.

The scene we were in was Scarlett’s showcase before she goes on tour, and it included Connie Britton, Jonathan Jackson, Sam Palladio, new comers Chaley Rose and Will Chase, and of course, Clare Bowen who plays Scarlett. We as extras, were cast as “industry people.” It was a scene for only a few minutes of the episode, and we filmed for 13 hours! It takes a long time to get it just right, and they pay attention to every detail right down to the drink I had in my hand.  My drink was my “prop” for the day, and I was to have it with me at all times. One time, I forgot it, and they waited for me to go and get it! Even though you do not really notice it, all the extras were given a little description of who they were and direction of exactly what they were doing. There was a lot more to it than just being at the Bluebird. I even had cues and parts that were only for me. I was not expecting it to be that way! They really made all the extras feel like they mattered. Everyone was extremely nice and a lot fun to work
with.  The next episode I will be on is Episode 11. Again, I am not giving away any secrets! However, I will tell you that I am in a scene with Hayden Panettiere and her TV entourage. Ironically, I am a part of the press in the scene. I’m sure I’m just playing myself, as they, no doubt, would want coverage from

YOUR Williamson!

No comments:

Post a Comment